Version 2.0 is released, go check what's new !
Some of you might have heard of JonDesign's SmoothSlideshow. SmoothGallery is its evolution.
So, what is so cool about it ?
Unlike other systems out there, JonDesign's SmoothGallery is designed from the ground up to be standard compliant: You can feed it from any document, using custom css selectors.
Why consider it instead of a Flash-based solution ?
- Let's imagine you want to add a showcase of your last products, or even a showcase of one product on your homepage. Would you want to restrict it only to the users who have Flash enabled ?
- Another important point is the fact that using this script, you will have fully standard compliant web pages (which is important for accessibility, for example).
- Using a flash based solution, search engines won't see your content nor links. Not really the expected result, right ?
- Oh, and do you really want to rely on a big company's proprietary licensed app for your website ?
Wow cool ! How much does it costs ?
Nothing, it's free as in beer and even better, this library is open-source, GPL licensed to be precise.
On what browsers does it run ?
Since it's based on the mootools library, it's somehow platform agnostic. I have fully tested it on:
- Internet Explorer 6 and 7